Sunday 17 February 2013

Valentine's Day Massacre

So this week marked my 27th Valentine's Day as a single. It passed, as it usually does, without event or fanfare. Normally, my resentful and hate-filled attitude towards V-Day and those who celebrate it is as follows:
I am typically without, as evidenced by the above, any sort of V-Day spirit.

However, this year I felt that the time for negativity about my most dreaded and single-guilt-inducing holiday had passed.

In the spirit of V-Day, I donned my lovingest valentine-red tee shirt, and embraced the madness with Open Arms like Journey and/or Messiah Carey. I did music lessons about love songs in all my classes (music lessons on Thursday are abysmal as future note to self as listening to same songs over and over in 6 consecutive classes is maddening trichotillomania-causing endeavour) and tried to spread as much Love Holiday Cheer as was humanly possible with no significant other or real prospects for same.

Apparently, no one else was on board.

Karma showed me how irritating and depressing I must have been to everyone else over the past years of life by having my students be overwhelmingly negative and cynical about 'commercial holidays' and 'silly American traditions'. Felt self grow so chippily resentful as day passed that by the last class, I was like, 'we are going to listen to LOVE SONGS and you're going to LOVE IT because it's VALENTINE'S DAY and you all LOVE English and LOVE me.' Was a bit, counterintuitively, belligerent about love. Was a bit like this:

Oh well. By the end of the day was treated to leftover coq-au-vin from Laureš's romantic V-Day french-style dinner date (after Aleš tried unsuccessfully to make me go by flowers for Laura when I walked in the door) which was v good. Not ashamed to admit eating it also following day when was sitting cold on the kitchen counter. Still delicious.

Also enjoyed Shannon's visit to discuss her résumé which she could not, inexplicably, figure out how to open on her computer (nor on mine as neither of us rich enough to afford luxuries like Microsoft Office) during which I probably terrified her again with my silent end-of-12-hour-day surliness. Lucky to have prends who understand my passing moods.

And speaking of lovely prends, just back from BRUNCH with Laura Jane at Bohemia Bagel. What in the world is better than starting off your day with a mimosa, super strong coffee, and huevos rancheros?! Nothing, that's what.

No comments:

Post a Comment