Tuesday 4 December 2012

5 Hobbies

I suppose these are fairly tied in with my 5 Passions, but I will try to diversify. I always struggle when people ask what my hobbies are because anything I can think of makes me sound boring or nerdy or similar. I want to say ''I'm a keen horseback rider and I've recently earned my solo skydiving certification!'' when the answer closest to truth is ''Laying in bed watching videos on youtube.'' Sad, sad.

With that in mind...

1) REALITY TELEVISION
''You're only relevant cos I'm talking to you, bitch!'' - Tami Roman, Basketball Wives

Survivor? Big Brother? Celebrity Big Brother? Real Housewives of Anywhere? Basketball Wives? Any Kind of Wives? There is not a single reality show that I won't give a try, and bonus points if they involve people being calculating, strategic, or downright rude with each other. My dad would classify reality TV as ''Number 86 in the decline of society'' or similar but I merely enjoying peering into the seedy world of backbiting and backstabbing. I like a good drama, so when it's [loosely] based in reality, even better. Ooh, can't wait for Celeb Big Bro to start up again next month.

 Just a little taste of the only Basketball I'll ever be interested in.


2) POLITICS
''On se crache dans les mains et on recommence. [we spit in our hands and we start over]'' - René Lévesque

I am a confirmed political junkie. Sit me in front of C-SPAN or  any terrible 24 hour new network and I will be glued to the screen. Election Day is my favourite holiday, and the election season beforehand elates me. Show me the polls! Who's running where! How many women can we get in the Senate this time! Who's corrupt in the Czech parliament now! Karolína Peake did WHAT?! I swear, it's crack for me. I'm addicted, and I'm not ashamed. I belong in political consultancy. The Bloc Québécois would have never fallen to a measly 4 seats in the Canadian House of Commons under MY watch...

Prime Minister Julia Gillard of Australia giving an amahhhhzing speech labeling the leader of the opposition a sexist and a misogynist. Moments like these are why I love and believe in politics and government. Yesss for feminism on the forefront!!


3) PEOPLE-WATCHING
''People are funny looking.'' - my Dad

This is a family habit of mine, I think. My sisters, my mother, and I love to sit and watch people and especially eavesdrop on other peoples' conversations. My Dad, St. Paul, is not so much interested in listening to other people, but he is interested in looking at them. And his sage conclusion is that they are funny looking. And they are. Just look at them. Go on. Take a minute to look out the window and really stare into some faces. This blog will wait here for you to get back.

See? Told you.

The other great thing about people-watching is when you overhear conversations that are just too good to be true. Like the one Sara and I overheard in St-Maarten between a mother and her daughter. ''RAY-CHEL! Be very careful over there, there's dangerous currents!'' Or just listening to waitresses with strange accents. ''Can I have a Coke?'' ''Shuawuh.'' And I apparently missed one perfect conversation that my family heard in Vermont this past weekend that included the phrase ''the hats and curls club''. Amazing.

The kind of dreadful things you can witness while people-watching on public transportation, for example.


4) TRAVEL
''Not all who wander are lost.'' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Not to go all pretentious-expat-I'm-SO-worldly on you or anything, but I do seriously have some wanderlust. Frankly, I'm kind of amazed that Prague has kept me so long - and doesn't show any signs of letting go of me. I honestly assumed that by now I would have traipsed off somewhere else. But the great thing is that here in the centre of Europe, it's just a hop skip and a jump away to any number of fantastic (fabulous! divine! as Nikki would say) destinations. Traveling has been one of the many perks of living here, and I'm going to let myself be a little smug and report having travelled to one degree or another to 14 (CZ, SK, D, F, FL, A, I, SLO, HR, H, BiH, SRB, MNE, PL) different countries since moving here. Okay, maybe one or two of those I saw for a hot minute, but still, it's another thing to tick off on my list. Favourite places? The ridiculous ones, like Liechtenstein, and the emotional ones, like Italy. And also Budapest. And all of Croatia. And, obviously, Bosnia. And Novi Sad, but only when pronounced in Shannon's voice. And next week, it will become 15 when Shannon and I do Portugal! One night only, limited engagement!

Totally loved this song as a kid. And still do. Inspiration of my wanderlust? Perhaps.


5) MUSIC VIDEOS
''Once again, I bury my head in shame.'' - Monrose, 'Shame'

Maybe this is a copout, but I totally don't care, because I am obsessed with watching music videos. The drama. The overacting. The over enunciated lip-syncing. The dance routines. The astonishingly high or embarrassingly low production values. I love it all. There's nothing more cathartic than sitting down and watching a string of my greatest hits! K-pop and girl bands, of course, are the most important in this category, but I appreciate all good videos. The more melodramatic, the more it takes itself seriously, the better for my amusement.

An example of the sheer melodrama of these three German goddesses, in a song Katie and I know as well as we know our very own souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment